One of the biggest questions people have about the Christian life is about our obedience. Do Christians need to keep the 10 Commandments? Is that what the Christian life is all about?
This is another huge topic, so this video is just a short introduction with a couple of pointers to some more detailed information.
Summary of the video
Here’s a brief summary of the points I make in the video:
- Do Christians need to keep the 10 commandments? The answer is “It’s complicated” – it’s a bit like yes / no / yes…
- In Matthew 5:17, Jesus said: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.”
- Jesus didn’t come to remove any laws but fulfil them. What does that mean?
- Romans 3:20 says, “through the law we become conscious of our sin”.
- The Law shines a light on our lives and helps us to see our sin.
- The reason we need the law in the first place is because there is something wrong with us – we want to do the wrong thing.
- Romans 8:1-4 says that the law cannot help us with our innate problem with sin – only Jesus can do that.
- Jesus came to do what the law couldn’t do. He makes us righteous from the inside out.
- Jesus can help us want to love God and love others – something which we could never do by simply trying to obey the commandments.
- Jeremiah 31:33 says, “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.” This is a prophecy of what God would do in Jesus.
- Through Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, God writes his laws on our hearts.
- Finally, in Matthew 5:21-22 Jesus uses the example of murder. It’s a command most people think they’ve kept. But Jesus shows that none of us have kept even this law perfectly.
- We need a transformation to love others!
You might like to look at the Sermon on the Mount course.
You might also appreciate session 15 of the New City Catechism: What’s the point of the Law (if we can’t keep it)?
Your questions answered
This is the third video for the Your questions answered feature.
If you have a question about Christianity or the Bible, please send them in or comment below.
2 thoughts on “Do Christians need to keep the 10 Commandments?”
Sir, I have just listened to your answer to:- ” Should we keep the 10 commandments” and I am not writing to argue with you ! But I do have a question for you…which applies to MOST teachings of the church….in contrast to the teachings of the BIBLE…and in this one example, I do refer to GOD’s Law. Jesus said ( Matt ch 19 v 17 )” If thou wilt enter into life , keep the commandments.” ( and “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
But MOST of the churches of the world keep a sun-day sabbath….which is, of course, contrary to GOD’s law as Ex ch 20 v 10. ( “the 7th day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy GOD.”)
As I say, this is just one example of ALMOST ALL that the churches teach…ie MOST is contrary to the directions of the Bible. THIS IS quite obvious…..and pastors MUST be aware that they do not practice what they read in the Bible. They are misleading the people. BUT they CONTINUE –KNOWINGLY —to preach falsehood. Why is that ??? I could give a LONG list of such examples. It seems to me that the churches are actually agents of satan.
Sadly, I am being deadly serious about that ! What say you ? !!! Thank you, Sincerely rodd
I don’t think churches are teaching falsely!
Strangely enough, I listened to a podcast last night which was all about the Sabbath, you can listen to it here: https://www.cooperandcary.com/97-any-given-sunday/
There is also a session on the Sabbath as part of the Heidelberg Catechism, which you can find here: https://understandthebible.uk/course/heidelberg-pt-3-gratitude/38-sabbath-day/
I have been thinking about the Sabbath, and I will aim to do a session on Sabbath for Christians next year.
Thank you for your comment,