I’ve just published the fourth part of the Learn to read the Bible series on Mark’s Gospel. This week we are looking at Mark 1:21-34, when Jesus drives out an impure spirit and heals many people.
For those who are coming to this new, the idea behind this series is not for me to simply explain everything to you, but rather to give you things to think about yourself. This is about training you to read the Bible for yourself, rather than just giving you all the answers!
You can read the passage online here (although I’d suggest it’s better in a physical Bible). You may also want to have a pen and paper handy to jot down notes and things you want to look into more.
Key Points from Mark 1:21-34
- What things are repeated in the passages? Look out for repetition – it’s often used for emphasis and something the Bible wants us to pay attention to!
- Jesus taught with authority – what do you think that says about the way that we should relate to Jesus and his teaching?
- Jesus had authority over evil spirits. Without going into details about demon possession, do you think that says something about Jesus’ mission? Should that give us confidence about good defeating evil?
- Jesus grew famous – imagine someone today who could teach and heal like Jesus! What would that look like?
- Why does Jesus tell the evil spirits not to talk about him? Why doesn’t he want people to know who he is?…
Looking for more?
You can see the rest of the videos in this series on the this page. If you’d like a more focussed series teaching the Christian faith, check out the teaching programme.
You might also want to see the previous episode in the series on Mark 1:14-20.